Pumpkin pie is known from America. Here it is particularly popular at Thanksgiving and generally in the fall. But since we still have an abundance of pumpkins in our supermarkets in mid-November: why not bake a juicy pumpkin pie ? We bake our pie with protein and maple syrup instead of refined sugar. We have created a super simple and quick recipe for you with a guarantee of success. For a pie you need:
Ingredients for the base:
- 200 g flour of your choice
- 150 g coconut yoghurt
- a bit of salt
Ingredients for the filling:
- 400 g pumpkin puree
- 50g A2 casein
- 2 organic egg whites (or whole eggs)
- 40 g maple syrup
- 1 tsp cream of tartar baking powder
- pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan oven. Process all the ingredients for the base into a shortcrust pastry. If the dough is too stiff, add a little more water.
- Grease a round (pie) pan and press the dough onto the bottom and sides.
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling and spread over the base. You can make the pumpkin puree yourself from a Hokkaido. If that's too complicated for you, you can also buy it. If you just missed the fall season, a tip from us: sometimes you can find ready-made pumpkin puree in a jar in the children's department at the drugstore.
- Bake the entire pie for 25 minutes.
- Instead of the dried maple leaf, we recommend serving it with toasted pecans. Doesn't crumble so much between your teeth.
What is the difference between a pie and a quiche?
While a quiche always consists of an egg and cream mixture and is savory, a pie can also have a sweet filling.
So is a pie a cake?
No, not entirely, because the base of a pie consists of the same basic dough that is used in a savory quiche. Only the filling is sweet or “half sweet” like our pumpkin pie. Try it out and you'll know what we're talking about.
More recipes on our YouTube channel
Be sure to check out the Lykaia YouTube channel , where we regularly upload new recipes. If you try something, please link us to your results and add the hashtag #lykaia underneath. We look forward to your pie successes!